How often to service your garage door?
Garage Doors are one of the hardest working parts of your home.
We rely on our garage doors all day long to open and close on command and therefore they need ongoing care to continue functioning well.
When maintaining a garage door you should have it professionally serviced annually. In addition, be sure to conduct your own monthly checks of the door to ensure it is in working order.
Should you service your Garage Door?
Servicing your garage door helps to extend its life and ensures a small problem doesn’t turn into a big one. For example one of our technicians may identify a spring that is about to break and replace it. You won’t be caught off guard now by a broken garage spring and have to wait around until someone can come to repair. This can save you money since it won’t require an emergency service either.
Professional Garage Door services
A garage door is the largest moving object in your home which can make it extremely dangerous to perform some services and repairs. It is best left to professionals with a checklist of issues to look for when inspect your garage door.
Individual checks include:
- Springs: Examine torsion springs to ensure they have the right level of tension.
- Cable: Check the cable for signs of damage and replace anything that looks worn.
- Roller: Look for signs of bending or breakage.
- Door sections: Search for signs of disrepair, which can impact the garage door opener as well.
- Garage door opener: Use for opening and closing several times to ensure the door is balanced.
How to maintain Garage Doors by yourself
In addition to having your garage door professionally inspected annually, you can also look after your system yourself.
- Check your garage door alignment: Unhook the opener, then raise and lower the door by hand. If it’s really tough to do, you may have door alignment issues.
- Test the function of the “eye:” The garage door eye tells your opener when it’s OK to open or close the door. Press the garage door opener button to close the door, and place a broom in front of one of the eyes. If the door stops, the eye is fine, but if it doesn’t, you should get assistance immediately as it’s a safety issue.
- Clean out debris: Keep the garage floors and door tracks clean and free of debris.
Trust Alpha Garage Doors for your Garage Door needs
Do you need a professional to assist you with garage door maintenance or repairs? Alpha Garage Doors can help. Get in touch today to learn more about our services.
Free Quote. Fast, Reliable service.
03 9964 4935